The Treat Block, an Italianate retail building, is the most imposing building that remains from the early square in Monroe. Old photographs show that it was a very fine commercial Victorian, although much of its decoration has since either been removed or deteriorated. Now the most notable features are the stone and brick window caps. The building was built by J. B. Treat, one of the city’s earliest businessmen. Treat migrated to Monroe from Maine, operated first a grocery, then more extensive investments. He was one of the organizers and directors of the Monroe Manufacturing Co., as well as owner of a large sawmill. He served his adopted city as state senator from 1875-1879. The recent revitalization was completed by Craig and Tammy Patchin.